Re: unnecessary fringe-indicators defcustom creates trouble

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: unnecessary fringe-indicators defcustom creates trouble
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:04:54 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   But I agree it shouldn't get in the way of setting the other variables
   directly, if you want to do that.  So I propose this change.

This is going to be very ugly when explained in the Emacs manual.  In
the Emacs manual you still will have to use (default-)indicate-empty-lines
and (default-)indicate-buffer-boundaries, because only they can be
given buffer local values (in the non default- version) and only they
can be set in .emacs (in the default- version).  Then you will have to
explain that to be able to safely use the default- versions, you have
to set the menu bar variable fringe-indicators to 'other, to avoid
having your customizations overridden by inadvertently loading fringe.el.

This is all unnecessarily complicated.

Sincerely,

Luc.