Re: address@hidden: Kill ring leak in winemacs macros]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Kill ring leak in winemacs macros]
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:41:04 +0200

Stuart D. Herring wrote:

Is not the variable `x-select-enable-clipboard' for this?

No, that enables the use of the X "clipboard selection" in addition to the
X "primary selection", and is only relevant on X (not Windows, which has a
clipboard but doesn't have "selections").  The variables
`interprogram-cut-function' and `interprogram-paste-function' can be set
to nil to suppress the synchronization, but this isn't just a
customization issue (as in "this isn't a problem, you should set X to Y")
because the issue only arises during keyboard macro execution.  If we want
to support this, presumably we want a new variable thusly:
I believe you can do (setq x-select-enable-clipboard nil) on MS Windows too to avoid sync with Windows clipboard. I just did a test, but that was with the CVS version (next version) of Emacs. That would mean that if you can set this during the execution of the keyboard macro then the bevaviour of kill-new etc would be as you want them too. Or am I seriously misunderstanding you? My apologizes in that case.

Perhaps would it be convenient to put a defadvice around on execute-kbd-macro for this?