Re: Copyright notices

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Copyright notices
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:06:15 +0300

> There are about 2000 files with copyright notices.  If these are all
> done manually, changing them twice seems to me to be an inefficient
> way of working.  If, as Stefan suggests, only those changed in 2006
> need their copyright changed again then maybe it's not so bad.

I guess not all files changed in 2006 need their copyright updated.
For example, it would be good to remove trailing whitespace from all
files just before the release.  Updating copyright is not needed
after such change.

> I'll start thinking about how to do it.  Since the copyright notices
> won't be all the same any script must be able to handle the differences.
> I'm thinking of something that keeps the user in the loop, like
> query replace or ediff, where he will be presented with a proposed
> change which he can decline or accept.

A good interface for mass-replacing is query-replace.  You can just do

M-x find-dired RET -name '*.el' RET t Q

and use a function call like  \,(copyright-fix-years \0)
in the replacement part.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/