Re: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:32:06 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I.e. if Gnus displays an
>>  article with charset=window-12xx, all characters are displayed
>>  correctly.  Sometimes people use charset=cp850 or need to edit files
>>  encoded in cpNNN.  After `M-x codepages-setup RET NNN RET' the coding
>>  system is available.  But etc/NEWS says "`codepage-setup' is now
>>  obsolete".  What is the correct way to setup cpNNN?

> See code-pages.el.  I don't know the answer for that, perhaps the code
> will tell you.  IIRC, `codepage-setup' was declared obsolete because
> the need to do something in order for a coding system to become
> available was deemed a bad idea.  But I don't remember the details,
> nor what would be the Right Way.  The birth of code-pages.el was
> accompanied by heated discussions, so some issues were lost in the
> dispute and never resolved.

Reiner, I thought that you added autoload cookies to all
coding systems in code-pages.el, but I've just found that
you actually added it only to iso-8859-* and windows-125*.
I think there's no problem in adding the cookie to all
coding systems defined in code-pages.el.  So, I've just
commited such a change.  Now there's no need to "setup
cpNNN" on GNU/Linux and Unix system.  I've also changed the
relevant etc/NEWS entry to this:

*** Many new coding systems are available in the `code-pages' library.
These include complete versions of most of those in codepage.el, based
on Unicode mappings.  `codepage-setup' is now obsolete and is used
only in the MS-DOS port of Emacs.  All coding systems defined in
`code-pages' are auto-loaded.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden