Re: RMAIL settings [was: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server]

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: RMAIL settings [was: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server]
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:17:57 +0200

On 8/6/05, Robert J. Chassell <address@hidden> wrote:

> You give the impression that you do not care that government enforced
> restrictions make it harder for Lennart to find out how to use an
> email client.

You give the impression that you think that you know better than I do
what do I think or care about. Worse still, you give the clear
impression that you think that you know what's better for me, and for
all people who's decided to use Windows or other proprietary operating
systems. You (and many other people) take a political stance; that
does not make it automatically right. Maybe that's great news to you.

Perhaps a biased reading can give you that impression you get from my
message, as I've not said whether I think that you are right or wrong
in your politics; only that it is not useful to receive politics when
asked about technical questions. I'm not questioning your ideology,
only your chosen method of communication.

>    ... When I read paragraphs like the one above, I feel I'm being
>    severely patronized, as if I were a child who doesn't know better.
>
> I take that to mean that you know it is better that I and others be
> restricted.  That is very much a patron telling a lessor that the
> patron knows it is better that the lessor be restricted.

Are you talking about free speech? Of course you can, in the broadest
sense, to answer every question with political rants. I couldn't and
wouldn't dream of making you stop. Unfortunately, if you're going to
do it, I'll have to resort to that great equalizer, the kill file, and
get rid of this kind of thing. That'll make me happy and preserve all
your rights.

> Or that deep down you really did not realize that like many others I
> am restricted.  It is as if you did not realize that such restrictions
> require either that I behave illegally or that I transfer resources in
> a non-economic fashion.

There you go again patronizing and sounding like you're two or three
steps higher...

> Meanwhile, as of a few minutes ago, I am still the only person who has
> given technical advice that should be sufficient to Lennart.

The only one? You can not know, unless you have access to private
e-mail. Technical advice? More like "I do this in a system very
different of yours, good luck trying to use it." Should suffice?
That's for Lennart to say, don't you agree?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u