Re: Suggestions for the temporary windows used from the minibuffer

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Suggestions for the temporary windows used from the minibuffer
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 14:36:42 -0400

    For keys that are bound to commands that manipulate the "other" window (not
    commands that open another window, but commands that use an existing one),
    bind them instead to commands that do the same thing when there is another
    window, but let the user do something else, otherwise? For instance, instead
    of binding C-M-v and M-next to scroll-other-window, bind them to something
    like scroll-other-window-or-*:

The basic idea that these keys could do something else as a
possibly-useful fallback might be good.  I don't like that specific
proposal because it is rather complex to use.  I'd rather have something
that is natural and useful for beginners.