Re: Can't interrupt directory_files_internal run fromtimer-event-handler

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Can't interrupt directory_files_internal run fromtimer-event-handler
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 01:39:13 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     BTW, `while-no-input' and `throw-on-input' are not documented on the
>     Emacs Lisp Reference; and the docstring for `throw-on-input' is
>     suboptimal:
>
> while-no-input is in the Lisp manual.  throw-on-input is not for users
> to use; perhaps we should rename it to while-no-input-throw-internal.

In its current form, a caller of while-no-input cannot differentiate
between BODY returning nil as a normal return value or BODY being
interrupted.

Furthermore, caller cannot know if BODY was interrupted by input or C-g.

As I need to differentiate between all three cases in ido, I had to
use throw-on-input directly.

For that reason, I think we should either document throw-on-input (and
keep its name), or [better] change while-no-input to return 'quit for
C-g, 'input-pending-p for input, and value of BODY otherwise.