Re: New balance-windows (Was Re: Making the width of three windows equal

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: New balance-windows (Was Re: Making the width of three windows equal)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:27:22 -0400

    If 2 more splits are done, both functions fails:

    The reason to the failure is that in this configuration the
    vertical border (-V-) , although full length border, can NOT
    be moved by resizing of any window.

Why can't it?

Did you try passing t for the second argument of enlarge-window,
after calling it on one of the windows above the line to be moved?

Anyway, we recently discussed the idea of a way to represent
window configurations as transparent Lisp data, and I suggested
a way that this could be implemented safely.  That would eliminate
a lot of these problems, because you could compute the desired
arrangement as a window configuration and then install it.

All of this is for after the current release.  If you want to work on
it on the side noiw, by all means do.  However, I'd like to ask other
people to join in work needed for the release, rather than this.