Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:24:56 +0200

On 8/9/05, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

> However we do have one major problem
> (emacsclient/server not working) and I think that is so serious that it
> should be fixed before release. Otherwise I think we get a bad
> impression on w32 and that does not help us reach our goals.

That's just a non-implemented feature. Emacs has been running on
Windows for years without emacsclient, and people make do with
gnuserv/gnuclient. Of course I think it'd be very nice to have it
working (else I wouldn't be hacking emacsclient right now), but I
hardly would consider it "a major problem".

> I would also suggest handling minor platform specific problems with
> platform specific "subreleases". On such case is the lacking
> documentation for w32 specifics.

That has been done in the past. There were NT Emacs 20.X releases that
weren't synchronized with non-NT Emacs releases.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u