Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:12:57 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

These issues are being overblown. There are currently W32 specific issues worthy of delaying a release, of Emacs in general, or of W32 binaries. If there are issues worthy of delaying release, then they belong in FOR-RELEASE. If they are not worthy of delaying release, then they should be in a TODO file somewhere (a general one, or W32 specific depending on the general consensus). Lets not pretend that there is an in between state of FOR-RELEASE.W32.

If we can not make a full release on w32 is there not an "in between state" then? But I suppose you want to be pragmathic about this. I guess I want that too. What I want is that the state of things on w32 should be visible so it does not confuse new or even old users or developers. Having a workaround is not bad (even if it is not the best).

TODO is in the etc subdir. Does not that make it much less visible than admin? Also it does not really seem to contain things for release. I still think FOR-RELEASE.W32 is a good and simple name. However if we think that is to strong and TODO is too weak then we could try something else, but let it be visible! That shows we care and that attracts users.