Re: Byte compiler inefficiency

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Byte compiler inefficiency
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:16:29 -0400

> (defsubst cadr (x)
>   "Return the car of the cdr of X."
>   (car (cdr x)))

There has already been discussions of such issues on this list.  There are
various ways to make byte-opt.el get rid of the extra varbind.
I had a suggestion, but it's not robust against some improperly nested
byte-code (which can't currently be generated by the byte-compiler, but
could be generated by some other byte-compiler), and someone else had
another suggestion which didn't have such a shortcoming.  I thought his
suggestion had been installed but if you say the "problem" is still present,
it looks like it never got installed.

        Stefan