AW: Can't interrupt directory_files_internal run fromtimer-event-handler

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: AW: Can't interrupt directory_files_internal run fromtimer-event-handler
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:35:22 +0200

>> ECB encapslates ist "stealthy" tasks in a loop like:

>>         (while (and (not (input-pending-p))

>> So IMHO C-g should work....

>Only if each iteration takes a (small) finite time.  The OP's problem is
>that one of the iteration doesn't terminate.

i know - therefore my question concerning while-no-input!
In fact: ECB has some tasks which should be run really(!) stealthy, like
checking if a dir is empty, getting the VC-state of all files in a dir,
checking which files in a dir are read-only... in case of a remote host
an iteration of such a task (i.e. for one file of a dir) can be potentially
long lasting...

With the current available elisp-tools (macos, functions etc.) ECB can run
these tasks only pseudo-stealthy...therefore a way to make this really stealthy
would be very important for ECB so users are not blocked...

I have no preference how to achieve this (while-no-input, with-local-quit etc..),
but i would be great if i could achieve this goal at all!

>> AFAIK there is a new macro in CVS named `while-no-input' (there
>> was a discussion some time ago).... Could using this macro
>> solve problems like that posted from the OP??

>Could be.  Another related new macro is with-local-quit (which uses no new
>internal feature and can thus be backported to other Emacsen).

see above - what would be the best way to enable real stealthiness?

Thanks a lot,
Klaus