Re: display-time-mode in menu bar.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: display-time-mode in menu bar.
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:52:30 -0500 (CDT)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   Perhaps what is wrong here is the conjunction `and'.  It implies that
   all these things are displayed simultaneously what is rarely true.

The time is always displayed.  I believe that the fact that "Mail" is
not displayed if there is no mail is obvious to the user.  The fact
that the load is not displayed if there is no non-negligible load is
probably not that surprising to the user either.  However the date is
never displayed unless you set an option non-nil that is nil by
default.  The load is actually not displayed if you customize another
option away from its default.  But what my patch does is adapt the
menu bar doc to the default settings.  It describes what the user will
see if he only customizes Emacs through the menu bar.

   A more shorter and still understandable menu item is:

                              "Time, Load and Mail"

   or with `or':

                              "Time, Date, Load or Mail"

I prefer "Time, Load and Mail".

"Date" can only displayed if the user uses Custom or .emacs for
customization, in which case he probably would customize
display-time-mode the same way.  Moreover, "Date" can be thought of as
an optional component of "Time", anyway.

Sincerely,

Luc.