Re: Leaving isearch-mode and keeping the highlite

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Leaving isearch-mode and keeping the highlite
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:27:19 +0300

> I would find it very helpful to be able to leave isearch-mode but keep
> the highlite. Is this something other would find helpful too?

There is already such an option: `lazy-highlight-cleanup'.
When nil, highlighting is not removed after the search.
You can use `M-x lazy-highlight-cleanup' to manually remove it.

> It is of course a new feature, but it can possible not break anything
> (except isearch highliting but that is easy to check). It we want this I
> would suggest to put it on C-RET or S-RET in isearch-mode-map.

BTW, I use C-RET to exit the search without pushing the search string
into the search ring.  Very useful to not stuff the search history
with unnecessary search strings.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/