Re: Define-key doc string - binding changes always if it exists

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Define-key doc string - binding changes always if it exists
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:05:57 -0600

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> I found the doc string for define-key a bit strange. It kind of suggests
> that if the keymap is not sparse then it is not changed. I suggest the
> following patch:

I don't agree.  You've changed:

> -If KEYMAP is a sparse keymap with a binding for KEY, the existing
> -binding is altered.  If there is no binding for KEY, the new pair
> -binding KEY to DEF is added at the front of KEYMAP.  */)

to:

> +If KEYMAP is a sparse keymap and there is no binding for KEY, the new
> +pair binding KEY to DEF is added at the front of KEYMAP.  */)

The original does not say anything about full keymaps (because there is
nothing to add), whereas your version doesn't say anything about a KEY
that's already bound in a sparse KEYMAP.

Your version is close to what's in Emacs 21, which was corrected to
distinguish between a new binding and an altered binding:

--
Kevin Rodgers