Re: is there a cygwin maintainer for gnu emacs?

From: Joe Buehler
Subject: Re: is there a cygwin maintainer for gnu emacs?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:12:50 -0400

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

    When GC encounters a fatal inconsistency in the Emacs data structures,
    it is generally unsafe to say anything, since that could easily cause
    a nested fatal signal.

It would also not be very useful, since any info we could put into
such an error message could be quickly discovered by a little
investigation with a debugger.

I have to disgree with that, it's the instant gut ueber-programmer
reaction to such problems.   Currently the user just gets an exiting
emacs, leaving me with no clue as to why emacs exited.  I then have to
provide instructions to the user as to how to run the $*&$%#!!! debugger
to help me figure out what happened.  The debugger that he may or may
not have installed, and may or may not even be ABLE to install.

A simple last-ditch printf that says "corruption detected during
garbage collection, see you later" would be a much easier way to get an
initial handle on what the heck the problem is.  As it was, without any
message, my initial suspicion was a SEGV or similar, which would be
much more likely to be a Cygwin problem than an emacs problem.
--
Joe Buehler