Re: Define-key doc string - binding changes always if it exists

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Define-key doc string - binding changes always if it exists
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:45:08 +0200

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

I don't agree.  You've changed:

> -If KEYMAP is a sparse keymap with a binding for KEY, the existing
> -binding is altered.  If there is no binding for KEY, the new pair
> -binding KEY to DEF is added at the front of KEYMAP.  */)

to:

> +If KEYMAP is a sparse keymap and there is no binding for KEY, the new
> +pair binding KEY to DEF is added at the front of KEYMAP.  */)

The original does not say anything about full keymaps (because there is
nothing to add), whereas your version doesn't say anything about a KEY
that's already bound in a sparse KEYMAP.

I thought that in the same way there is nothing to add about full keymaps there is nothing to add in the case when there is a binding. It behaves the same for both full and sparse keymaps.

Your version is close to what's in Emacs 21, which was corrected to
distinguish between a new binding and an altered binding:

| If KEYMAP is a sparse keymap, the pair binding KEY to DEF is added at
| the front of KEYMAP.

Yes, but with the important distinction that it is more specific, it tries to say clearly that it is just for the case when there is no binding. However if people do not find this clear then of course we should not change it. Though I personally think it is more clear... ;-)

This is no big issue of course.