RE: Entering filenames with spaces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Entering filenames with spaces
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:51:30 -0700

    >For those who want to use something besides SPC for word completion, a
good
    >candidate is a left-hand key that is normally a prefix key, and that
doesn't
    >have much use in the minibuffer - a key such as C-SPC or C-z

    C-z is a CUA key for undo and as such is it used in every w32 program.

I have no stock in C-z. But how much do you use undo in the minibuffer?
Again, we're only speaking here of bindings in the _minibuffer completion_
keymaps - "no global bindings would be harmed in the process".

My point about C-z was that it is, a priori, a good idea to use:

1. a non-printing key sequence,
2. that is not likely to be useful in the minibuffer,
3. and that is convenient to type.

C-z fits this mould fairly well. You might disagree about #2 (or #3) for
C-z.

In any case, for the same reason that I think C-SPC is handy for inserting a
space, I would recommend C-SPC over C-z for word-completion (for those who
prefer to flip my recommendation to leave SPC bound to word completion).