Re: ldefs-boot.el

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: ldefs-boot.el
Date: 12 Aug 2005 21:10:32 -0400

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> # Build loaddefs.el to make sure it's up-to-date.  If it's not, that
> # might lead to errors during the bootstrap because something fails to
> # autoload as expected.  If there is no emacs binary, then we can't
> # build autoloads yet.  In that case we have to use ldefs-boot.el;
> # bootstrap should always work with ldefs-boot.el.
>
> No, it does not always work.  (How could it?)  It only works if you
> update ldefs-boot whenever needed.

the "should" in the last sentence of the makefile frag implies the last
sentence you wrote ("it only works...").  perhaps adding that sentence to
the makefile would be sufficient to nudge the implication to explanation?

(you have to sort of read the "should" in the spirit of specification docs
like RFCs, where the text is sometimes both descriptive and presriptive.)

thi