Re: Entering filenames with spaces

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Entering filenames with spaces
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:11:59 +0300

> In any case, for the same reason that I think C-SPC is handy for
> inserting a space, I would recommend C-SPC over C-z for
> word-completion (for those who prefer to flip my recommendation
> to leave SPC bound to word completion).

To insert one space in the minibuffer, you can use M-SPC.  To insert
more spaces, you can give it a numeric argument.  However, this is
not much more convenient than C-q SPC.

If the consensus will be reached to get rid of the SPC bindings,
do not rebind it to C-z or to C-SPC.  C-z is too unnatural key for
this and by default it iconifies the frame.  C-SPC is useful in the
minibuffer to set mark.

A better replacement key binding for minibuffer-complete-word would be
S-TAB (but not M-TAB because it can be useful to complete symbols
in the minibuffer from the external table).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/