Re: Entering filenames with spaces

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Entering filenames with spaces
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:40:34 -0400

It is not clear a priori which definition of SPC when reading file
names will please more users.  Some users like the completion
definition, while others find it gets it the way.

However, I tend to think that the completion definition is not
essential, and is better for advanced users, while it can screw
beginners who don't know enough to use C-q SPC.  Therefore,
I have concluded we should redefine SPC.

The various proposals for other ways to enter a space would not help.
None of them is self-evident, so they would only be good for advanced
users.  Their only advantage over C-q SPC would be greater ease
of typing, but not much.  And this case does not arise often enough
to make that ease of typing important.

Would someone like to implement this change, and ack to me?