Re: address@hidden: Re: mode-line redisplay bug]

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: mode-line redisplay bug]
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:51:45 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> His test case is very clear, but it does not fail when I try it.
>> Can anyone else observe this failure?
>
> I don't see this failure, but while trying to replicate it, I did see
> some other display problems. I tried GNU/Linux and W32, I saw problems
> on both when the mouse was over mouse-sensitive areas of the modeline,
> but the symptoms were different.
>
> If I hold the mouse above a mouse-sensitive part of the modeline while
> switching buffers with C-c c as described in the original bug report,
> I see the following:
>
> On W32:
>
> The highlighted portion of the modeline stays when the buffer
> switches, overwriting any text that from the buffer that should appear
> there. If I do the same in the header line of the *scratch* buffer,
> the entire header line is erased as it should be.
>
> On GNU/Linux:
>
> The highlit area flickers. On W32 it flickers once when the tooltip
> pops up, but on X, it flickers constantly. I remember fixing something
> like this on W32 years ago,

I think the change I am recalling is the following one. Unfortunately
I checked it in along with a load of catch-up changes ported from
xterm.c, so the CVS diff will need a bit of filtering. Unless someone
else picks this up first, I hope to get a chance to look at it
sometime in the next couple of weeks.

2001-10-21  Jason Rumney  <address@hidden>

        * w32term.c (remember_mouse_glyph): New function.
        (w32_mouse_position): Use it.
        (note_mouse_movement): If the mouse moved off the glyph, remember
        its new position.