Re: Emacs icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs icons
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:59:58 +0200

Esben Stien wrote:

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

Why not just text?

I think this is really bad. No icons or logos' should ever just use
text (or even characters at all); it's too hard to distinguish if more
and more apps do this. An icon should not be read. It's supposed to be
an image which you combine with something very quickly. Also, it
should be a SVG vector file. Gnome is supposedly moving to a vector
graphics only desktop.
I think you are right, but I believe the intention was perhaps not to have text that should be read. It should be more like a logo. The problem is however to get some good ideas for a logo that can be realized as such small images that icons normally are (16x16 pixels on w32). Suggestions and examples are welcome. I will try to put them all here: http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html

Can vector graphics be scaled to such small images ( is the result good)? What tools are used to create the SVG files?