Re: Can't interrupt directory_files_internal run from timer-event-handle

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Can't interrupt directory_files_internal run from timer-event-handler
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:13:09 +0200

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 08:27:40PM -0400, Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     I'm not an expert on this, but I think it's impossible to create such
>     alternate names, since GNU Find uses this fact to detect directories
>     with no subdirectories.
>
> Linux seems to refuse to do this even if you are root.
> But I believe that root could do it on Unix at some point.
> Maybe that was only in old versions in the early 80s.

Yes, indeed Unix v5 (fifth edition from 1974, that is _not_ SysV!),
does allow root to make hard links on directories.  But the seventh
edition from 1978 already prohibits it.  (sorry, at the moment I don't
have a v6 at hand to test it there...  ;-))

Every more modern Unix I tried, whether free or proprietary, whether
SysV or BSD based, refuses to do this even for root.

So I'd think that this case can be safely ignored.  I don't know about
non unixoid systems, though.

cheers
sascha
--
Parents strongly cautioned  --  this  posting  is  intended for mature
audiences  over  18.  It  may  contain some material that many parents