Re: Problems with display-pixels-per-inch variable

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Problems with display-pixels-per-inch variable
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:31:21 +0100

Kim F. Storm wrote:

In the C code, we have this variable, which can be used by the
calculation of strech glyph width and height:

 DEFVAR_LISP ("display-pixels-per-inch",  &Vdisplay_pixels_per_inch,
   doc: /* Pixels per inch on current display.
Value is a number or a cons (WIDTH-DPI . HEIGHT-DPI).  */);
 Vdisplay_pixels_per_inch = make_float (72.0);

The x_display_info structure has this information already, though it may be initialised in a similar arbritrary fashion. On W32, it is initialised from system settings. Anyway, if we must define it arbritrarily and leave it to the user to fix up later if they are motivated enough to do so, 96dpi is far more common than 72dpi these days.