Re: Entering filenames with spaces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering filenames with spaces
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:35:14 +0300

> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:58:36 +0200
>
> >>    (define-key minibuffer-completion-map " " 'minibuffer-complete-word)
> >>
> >> in their .emacs.
> >
> > You must be kidding!  Since when people who are accustomed to
> > SPC-completion are automatically supposed to be keymap wizards?  (I
> > wasn't talking about myself when I wrote the request above.)
>
> We would obviously document the new behaviour in NEWS, so we can just
> include the above line as instructions how to restore the old behaviour.

It is IMHO insufficient to mention this in NEWS and hope that users
will look there for such recipes.  NEWS is not the regular place to
look for customization tips.

In addition, this particular keymap is somewhat obscure (even experts
such as Stefan make mistakes coming up with its correct name ;-).  The
User manual mentions it in one place, but doesn't really tell when it
is used (it refers to ``permissive completion'', which is not in the
index); that doesn't help users in finding what variable to hack and
how.