RE: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:07:40 -0700

       I think it is quite confusing that you can move the point into the
       prompt area in the minibuffer.

    What is confusing about that?  It has often saved me time by allowing
    me to copy text from the minibuffer.  The code you propose would
    unnecessarily waste people's time by imposing the dull work of typing
    in that text manually upon them.  Why would one want to deliberately
    destroy such a very useful feature?

I think I'm missing something here, and I'd like to learn. What minibuffer
text are you referring to copying - something from the prompt? Can you give
an example?

I might be convinced otherwise, after I understand your use case, but until
then, I think Lennart has a point. This is also something that I have found
annoying.

I note too that, by design, commands like `C-a' do not move into the prompt.
That suggests that it was felt that it would be confusing or annoying to
move into the prompt.

One possible compromise, assuming there is a useful use case for copying
prompt text, would be to permit copying it with the mouse, but still inhibit
moving the cursor into the prompt by command or keyboard. Would that be good
enough?