Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:34:56 +0100

On 16 Aug 2005, at 05:51, Drew Adams wrote:

And a question - ignore, if this has already been beaten to death -
shouldn't "inviolable" be the default value? A novice might get confused and
not know about the option to make the text inviolable;

Yes, I agree: it should be default. I used to be first confused, then annoyed when it happened repeatedly (I delete text pretty often that's in the minibuffer, and then I accidentally get into the prompt), so I set 'read-only' (similar to inviolable, i guess) as a default in Aquamacs.

a veteran is more
likely to try to copy prompt text and to discover the open-sesame option, if
it is locked by default.

Luc says he likes to copy the prompt when reporting bugs etc., but who is Emacs catering for? Its own developers? Its bug-reporting users? Or users that actually do productive use? The latter should probably be the default assumption, since it agrees with what most people do with it...