Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:12:16 -0500 (CDT)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   Which is a big difference compared to shell buffers where you can erase
   the prompt. That too was a surprise to me in the beginning.

You can change that by by setting comint-prompt-read-only to t.
But erasing prompts is sometimes useful for cleanup in shell buffers,
whereas actually erasing the prompt is probably really never useful in
the minibuffer (although you can do it if you customize
minibuffer-prompt-properties).

Actually, there are functions that allow you to erase shell prompts
for cleanup, even with comint-prompt-read-only set to t, but you need
to read some docs (the comint-prompt-read-only docstring) and paste
some stuff from there into your .emacs to be able to do that.  This is
why comint-prompt-read-only is nil by default.

I personally have comint-prompt-read-only set to t, but I routinely
use `comint-kill-whole-line' or `comint-kill-region' to clean up
comint buffers.

Sincerely,

Luc.