Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:01:48 +0200

Richard M Stallman writes:

>     I think it is quite confusing that you can move the point into
>     the prompt area in the minibuffer. Why don't we use something
>     like the code below to avoid this:

> If we want to make it impossible to move point into the prompt, it
> should suffice to give it an intangible property of t, right?
> People could try that and see if they like it.  However, we've
> already seen one person say that he finds it useful to move into the
> prompt.

I think the situation is somewhat similar with the case of e-mail
headers in Rmail.  Having used fascist e-mail clients before I was
scared that with Emacs you could indeed *change* the headers yourself
and maybe even break something.  But with time I learned to appreciate
the extra power.

I myself don't move into the prompt that often, but I like to know
that I can if I need to, without having to hunt for some newly added
user option.

So, comfort and ease-of-use, yes; restriction and over-protection, no.

 -ECL