Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:14:32 +0200

Emilio Lopes wrote:

Richard M Stallman writes:

   I think it is quite confusing that you can move the point into
   the prompt area in the minibuffer. Why don't we use something
   like the code below to avoid this:

If we want to make it impossible to move point into the prompt, it
should suffice to give it an intangible property of t, right?
People could try that and see if they like it.  However, we've
already seen one person say that he finds it useful to move into the
prompt.

I think the situation is somewhat similar with the case of e-mail
headers in Rmail.  Having used fascist e-mail clients before I was
scared that with Emacs you could indeed *change* the headers yourself
and maybe even break something.  But with time I learned to appreciate
the extra power.

I myself don't move into the prompt that often, but I like to know
that I can if I need to, without having to hunt for some newly added
user option.

So, comfort and ease-of-use, yes; restriction and over-protection, no.

-ECL
But you are asking for protection (for yourself) aren't you? ;-)

I will not answer on the list since Richard asked us not to discuss this their any more.

Best wishes,
Lennart