Re: Mode line faces on ttys

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Mode line faces on ttys
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:36:34 +0300

>> This is correct.  Since mode-line has the non-nil :inverse-video
>> attribute, its foreground and background colors should be inverted.
>
> I see, thanks for the explanation.  It's somewhat confusing that setting
> the face foreground actually changes the background on ttys--I
> understand the logic, but it's surprising.

Perhaps the behavior of the :inverse-video face attribute is what is
confusing.  It uses the swapped foreground and background colors for
actual display.

> How are application writers supposed to handle this if they want the
> mode line to "look similar" in X and on ttys?  Use `face-inverse-video-p'
> to invert values if needed?

Application writers can specify the same face attributes on X and on
ttys.  So if :inverse-video was off on X, turn it off on tty too, and
vice versa.

>> Since this change causes questions, maybe it should be mentioned in
>> etc/NEWS?
>
> Definitely.

In which NEWS section would you expect to find this fix?

Possible candidates:

* Lisp Changes in Emacs 22.1
** Face changes

or

* Incompatible Lisp Changes in Emacs 22.1

or

* Incompatible Editing Changes in Emacs 22.1

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/