Re: Emacs icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs icons
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:04:17 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

   Hmm... I use the attached image with WindowMaker, it's the splash image s=
   hrinked
   to 48x48.

This approach is going in the wrong direction.  It is too hard to see,
and it doesn't focus on the important thing, which is "Emacs".

I ask everyone to please NOT send any more proposed icons that are
based on a picture of a gnu.  All such pictures are too complex, and
unusable.  Please save your time and mine by not proposing such
pictures.  The most that might work is the partial gnu picture
combined with an E.

By the way, I see people sending both 48x48 and 16x16 icons.
When is the 48x48 used, and when is the 16x16 used?
I can only answer this for w32:

- In many cases the user can decide wether to use a small 16x16 icon or a bigger. This is for example the case in the w32 file manager called Explorer (or Windows Explorer).

- On the desktop a larger icon is used (32x32 or 48x48 I believe, maybe other size can be used too?).

- When switching between applications a larger icon is used.

- In the start menu you can choose. In the part showing active applications I think small icons are used.

- If file open/save dialog the small icons are normally used.

I believe the most common larger icon format is 32x32 but it might be bigger on XP, don't know.