Re: Emacs icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs icons
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:12:44 +0200

Frank Schmitt wrote:

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
This is highly dependent on the window- or file manager used and
normally configurable to a certain degree by a user. Commonly used sizes
are:

16x16  20x20/  24x24  32x32  36x36  48x48  64x64  96x96

I'm really wondering that people are creating the icons as bitmap
images. The major desktop environments under Gnu Linux (Gnome, KDE,
XFCE) are currently switching to vector based images (svg) and as far as
I know the next version of MS Windows will do so to. (Using a mangled
version of the open format svg which will differ just so much to be
incompatible)
Thanks for the information. I did not know that SVG was going to be used everywhere. Then it looks like I good idea to make both bitmap and SVG versions. Do you have any idea of how to handle this?

I have seen there is an SVG plugin for Gimp. However I do not know about the internal format for Gimp, if that is a bitmap format and/or a vector format. If Gimp can make both SVG files, png and w32 ico format files from the same picture then we can solve this easily I guess. But that depends on how well Gimp can handle this. There may of course also be other options. Do you know anything about this?