Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: David Robinow
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:59:42 -0400

On 8/21/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> A discussion in November 2002, based on noting that Windows menus have
> a "What's This" feature, concluded that (present and former) Windows
> users would recognize the name "What's This" and know what to do with
> it.  So it would help them.
>
> I have never been a Windows user, so I can't judge for myself.
> Do those here with Windows experience agree that that menu item
> will be understood by many users?

 I've used Windows for about ten years.  I don't remember ever seeing
a "What's This" message.
 I just checked Visual Studio .NET, Microsoft Office, and Internet
Explorer. Can't find it.  I did see it on the Emacs menu, but since I
seldom use menus in Emacs I don't believe I'd seen it before this
discussion.