Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:23:35 -0500 (CDT)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   Cynicism aside, what you say is a general complaint about our doc
   strings, not specific to the menu item we are discussing.

What I am saying is that the really useful commands for beginners are
C-K and C-F, not C-k and C-f.  The latter are often more for Elisp
programmers, or at least for more advanced users (or a last resort if
C-K or C-F do not find any docs in the manuals).

  In effect, you are saying that "Describe Key" is useless for newbies.

In many cases, and much more consistently useful alternatives are available.

   While I agree that we should make the documentation to use smaller
   words,

That is not the problem.  The docstring tries to document the
docstring for Elisp programmers and aside from the fact that it is
missing an (easily added) comma:

- If non-nil untranslated is a vector
+ If non-nil, untranslated is a vector

it is not that difficult to understand _for Elisp programmers_.

C-h C-F C-h C-k gives useful documentation for novices.

Sincerely,

Luc.