Re: compile.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: compile.el
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:33:48 +0300

> My patch to compile.el has a bug; here's a revised patch.

It has another bug: visiting a saved compilation/grep file fails with
the error message:

  Symbol's value as variable is void: comint-file-name-prefix

This is trivial to fix - just restore `(boundp 'comint-file-name-prefix)'
that was there before the patch.  But it has another more severe bug:
visiting a file in a compilation subdirectory extracted from the line
`make: Entering directory ...' doesn't work anymore.

Since the issue of visiting saved compilation/grep logs is currently
under consideration, I want also to point out that changing the file's
default directory by the -*- line is not a good thing.  It is
potentially dangerous when an unsuspecting user assumes that the
default directory is the same as the directory where the file
is saved, but actually it changes to the directory where compilation
was started.  I think `-*- default-directory: "..." -*-' in the first
line should be changed to `-*- compilation-directory: "..." -*-'.
Currently this doesn't work with `compilation-directory' in the first
line, but it is easy to fix compile.el to take into account this case.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/