Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:05:48 +0300

> Cc: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:54:00 +0200
>
> Suppose you have a pop-up in a Windoze application similar to
> the M-x customize-face interface in Emacs.
>
> Now, if a Windoze user clicks with the "What's this" mouse
> cursor on the [109    ] input field:
>
>      [x] Height: Value Menu Height in 1/10 pt: [109      ]
>
> she would expect to get some form of explanation of what the value
> entered into the "Height" field means.

She _might_ expect that, but what I see in my testing is something
like this instead:

  Click this to set the menu height.

> To me, it seems you are the only one defending "What's This", and IMHO
> you are beating a dead horse.

That's an interesting view: I am beating a dead horse, but those who
are arguing with me are not.  Yeah, right.

And no, I'm not defending that menu item.  I just don't like us to
reverse past decisions, especially those which were made after some
deliberations, and while almost all of the present parties were there,
reading the list and did not object.

> > So I still think your objections are generally valid for our doc
> > strings, not specific to "What's This?".
>
> Which doesn't make "What't This" any less deficient...

Nor does it make it more deficient.