Re: version comparison functions

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: version comparison functions
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:25:51 +0200

On 8/26/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> version< is useful for comparing version number strings.

In the past we've had threads just to decide whether to add or change
tiny things (I fondly remember discussing whether the four or five
different implementations of `time-less-p' scattered there and here
merited being generalized out to a single `time-less-p' and put on
subr.el :).

So I suppose I'm just a bit surprised at the thought of adding two
variables, seven functions and one alias just to do version
comparison. Not even the `integer-list-*' functions are general, as
they consider '(1) and '(1 0) to be equal, which doesn't strike me as
a very common need. They would be better named `version-list-*', IMO.

But I digress...

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u