announcing defaults when reading from minibuffer

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: announcing defaults when reading from minibuffer
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:23:54 +0200

I've just asked myself if there's any convention for announcing
defaults when reading from minibuffer.  Skimming the Elisp manual
didn't reveal anything in this regard.  Seaching the archives of this
list I found this message from RMS:

   The standard for Emacs is (default foo).  There may be some
   nonstandard functions that use [foo], due to imperfect quality
   control, but we should stick to the standard (unless we decide to
   change it).

[http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-06/msg00085.html]

So I documented this convention in "(elisp) Text from Minibuffer".

Here's the patch:

2005-08-28  Emilio C. Lopes  <address@hidden>

        * minibuf.texi (Text from Minibuffer): mention convention for
        announcing default values when reading from the minibuffer.

diff -rN -c old-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi
new-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi
*** old-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi  Sun Aug 28 14:20:31 2005
--- new-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi  Sun Aug 28 14:05:41 2005
***************
*** 154,159 ****
--- 154,167 ----
  empty string, @code{""}.  In this respect, it is different from all
  the other minibuffer input functions in this chapter.

+ Note that the standard way in Emacs to announce a default value when
+ reading from the minibuffer is to put it between parenthesis following
+ the word ``default'' as in
+
+ @smallexample
+ Enter value (default 42):