Re: grep-use-null-device

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: grep-use-null-device
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:43:29 -0400

    I think it is the wrong fix to just ignore an error which should not
    occur in the first place.  Rather process-send-eof should be fixed not
    to throw an error as long as the process is not considered dead from
    Emacs' point of view.  That there is nobody to actually look at the
    eof can't be considered a problem in asynchronous operations: the
    consuming process can close down without waiting for an explicit eof.

That is a plausible argument, but I think the current way things work
is ok too.  This function is not used often, and catching the error
(when that's what you want) is not hard.