Re: Buffer menu fix

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Buffer menu fix
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:23:13 -0400

> With this patch header-line buttons in the buffer list buffer certainly
> respond to Mouse-1 but unfortunately they do this even when
> mouse-1-click-follows-link is nil.

This behavior is the same as Info-mode.  It makes sense because
mouse-1 on the header line would not set point, as it would in the
main editing area.

> I don't think
>
>  > !                  (define-key map [follow-link] 'mouse-face)
>
> does anything in this case possibly because map here is a text property and
> not associated with a mode.

This deals with the case when Buffer-menu-use-header-line is nil.

> It would be best to omit the line
>
>  > !                  (define-key map [header-line down-mouse-1] 'ignore)
>
> because then the header line can then respond to mouse-1 clicks and still be
> dragged (try it on the mode-line to see what I mean).

You can drag it by clicking on any part of the header line outside the
button text.  Again, this is the same as Info-mode.

>  > !                  (define-key map "\C-m"
>  > !                    `(lambda () (interactive)
>  > !                       (Buffer-menu-sort ,column)))
>
> I don't see the point of this as you can't place point on the header line.

This deals with the case when Buffer-menu-use-header-line is nil.

> In summary, I don't see how to solve the problem (neither did the original
> author presumably), all I can do is pull your solution apart.

With my code, clicking mouse-1 actually works, where previously it
didn't.  If there are any other problems with my solution, feel free
to point them out.