Re: Patch: Follow convention for reading with the minibuffer.

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch: Follow convention for reading with the minibuffer.
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:42:02 -0400

    I *much* prefer

        Enter the answer (default 42):

    which is what is used by pretty much everything except for C-x b (where the
    default is after the colon by "accident" AFAICT).

It is embarrassing how dim my memory is getting.  I looked at C-x b
rather than go by memory, and I didn't remember that other things were
different.

Putting the colon at the end is definitely better.  Can someone fix
C-x b to work that way?

Emilio, I apologize for the confusion I caused and for the waste of
time that resulted.  Thank you for offering to make things follow
the convention that I mistakenly redacted.

    PS: Actually I even prefer

        Enter the answer [42]:

      because minibuffer width is limited.

Now that the minibuffer prompt can be continued, saving space there is
less important than it would have been before.  And the word "default"
will serve to explain to new users.