Bug repository

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Bug repository
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:40:09 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Let's take it as a reminder that when we commit a fix, we should make sure
>>> we describe the bug it fixes, either in comments in the code (when
>>> possible/meaningful) or in the ChangeLog entry.
>
>> Alas, there's no machinery in GNU coding/development standards to
>> record such information.  In Emacs, we don't even have a bug
>> repository to which one can refer, like "see bug #12345" or some such
>> (a reference to the mail-list thread might serve as a replacement, but
>> only if the problem was discussed publicly in enough detail).  A
>> description of a bug with enough info to reproduce it later could take
>> a lot of text,
>
> Even if we had a bug repository, I'd prefer a longish text, so you don't
> need to refer to the bug database to know what it is.  The only alternative
> would be if the bug database is stored alongside the source files.

I agree that inserting the full text in the code or ChangeLog would be
too much.

Why not turn on the bug page at http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/?

Referencing bug numbers in the ChangeLog is short and easy and makes
it easy to refer to the full dialog of the issue. The Savannah bug
repository also makes it really easy to create release notes in a form
which makes it easy for a user to see if their bug was fixed or
feature implemented.

Note that bug reports can (and should) be forwarded to a mailing list
(such as emacs-devel) so that people are aware of them. I don't know
if Savannah has the ability to append comments to a bug report via
mail, but since the URL is in each message, it is easy enough to click
on the link and enter the comment on the web form.

That inconvenience is far outweighed by the advantages of a bug
tracking system. Bug reports and feature requests can't get forgotten
as they might on a mailing list.

I had expected to find a discussion about this already, but I couldn't
find one.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD