Re: Options menu is broken on CVS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Options menu is broken on CVS
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:28:09 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:07:25 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> xmenu.c compiles without X libraries (--without-x doesn't link to them)

What you say is not detailed enough, because xmenu.c has 2 different
parts (one with USE_X_TOOLKIT, the other without it), and some
additional preprocessor directives partition the code there still
more, depending on whether you use GTK, Lucid, Motif/LessTif, etc.
Which one of these variants did you try to compile?

At least the non-toolkit version of the functioon xmenu_show (the one
near the end of xmenu.c) uses functions like XMenuCreate,
XMenuAddPane, XMenuDestroy, etc., and constants like XM_SUCCESS and
XM_FAILURE, which will cause failures either during compilation or
during linking, if X headers and libraries are not available/linked
in.

> but now I think that the non-X build on Unix and GNU systems doesn't
> define HAVE_MENUS because it shouldn't need xmenu.c

True.

> However you have missed some references to menu-updating-frame.  For example
> F10->f doesn't work beacuse of:
>
> (put 'dired 'menu-enable
>      '(not (window-minibuffer-p (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame))))
>
> You might also need display-multi-frame-p in kill-this-buffer-enabled-p.

Thanks for catching this, I will fix those ASAP.