Re: compile.el::grep-program - should it use egrep instead of grep?

From: Jari Aalto
Subject: Re: compile.el::grep-program - should it use egrep instead of grep?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:31:19 +0300

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

|     The use of grep(1) command in all of there is not optimal. So my question
|     was wheather there were any *nix OS that did not define egrep(1) and thus
|     would prevent using "egrep" as a default value.
|
| I do not want to change to egrep as the default value for
| grep-program.  Sorry.

Could you elaborate a little. The syntax of grep is not sufficient to
make daily searches with M-x find-dired or M-x grep-find that happen
frequently during searching system log files or looking into program
and text document files.

Wouldn't that warrant to use egrep? This is what most people do with
daily searches when M-x grep is needed. egrep would be much more
sensible default at startup having no need to set up separate
customised changes for every person.

Jari