Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:38:32 +0900

2005/9/13, Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:
>  >                                     my impression is that
>  > by-and-large, the unicode-2 branch is not going to change
>  > dramatically.
>
> That does beg the question as to why unicode-2 hasn't already been merged into
> HEAD given that, using timescales for Emacs 22

Er, well guessing what you meant[*], it seems a reasonable enough
thing to do -- I'm referring to _fundamental_ changes in
representations, etc.  I think _those_ are unlikely to change, but
nevertheless the unicode branch still is different enough from the
trunk that merging it would probably cause a fair number of bugs.

I think that such bugs would be minor enough that using the branch for
development of something like Aqua Emacs is quite reasonable (such
minor bugs probably wouldn't significantly affect the work on the Aqua
backend, and subsequent bug-fixes would likely be straight-forward to
merge), but they would unnecessarily delay a trunk release.

[*] as you seemed to have used the phrase "beg the question"
incorrectly -- it means "makes the question pointless"

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.