Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:44:52 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > > That does beg the question as to why unicode-2 hasn't already been
>  > > merged into HEAD given that, using timescales for Emacs 22, Emacs 23
>  > > won't be released until about 2010.
>  >
>  > So that Emacs 22 will not get released only in 2010.
>
> The description Miles gave suggested that unicode-2 was already
> usable.  The plan, as I understand it, is to merge unicode-2 to HEAD
> immediately after Emacs 22 is released.  It will then presumably sit
> in CVS for years while a myriad of other features are added.

We have been through this already.  The major features are unicode-2
and multi-tty support.  There are some updates from external packages
like tramp that have been held back from the code base, but nothing
really Earth-shattering.

It sounds like a month of merging should get us through the worst, and
then not too much cleaning up should be necessary: the branches we are
talking about are in active use.

That is the exact decision why we have already agreed _not_ to merge
the bidi branch at that time.  Even though it obviously forms a
logical complement to unicode-2, its state of maturity is not
comparable.

Can we just concentrate on Emacs 22 before going bonkers over Emacs 23
_again_?