Re: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:34:47 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> I received a bug report from a Chinese user complaining that Emacs 22
> wants to use a Japanese font to display a character from the Chinese
> alphabet, even if the language environment is set to something Chinese
> (in this case, Chinese-GB).

> My guess is that the character is identical in Chinese and Japanese
> (kanji) alphabets and that Emacs just uses the "best fitting" font,
> which isn't installed on this user's workstation.  Apparently,
> (list-charset-chars 'chinese-gb2312) correctly shows the character, but
> the font isn't selected when displaying a regular buffer.

> Is that a bug or a configuration problem?  I'm not really knowledgeable
> about this stuff, can someone enlighten me?

> You can find more information here:

I've just read that thread.  In any Chinese-XXX lang. env.,
if that character is (0x4A4A of GB2312) encoded in UTF-8,
Emacs correctly decodes it into chinese-gb charset.  So, my
question is how he got that character in Emacs buffer.  One
possibility is that he cut&pasted it from the other
application and that application sent that character encoded
in compound-text while designating JISX0212.  In that case,
Emacs surely decodes it into japanese-jisx0212, but that is
a correct behaviour.

(setq x-select-request-type '(UTF8_STRING COMPOUND-TEXT))

forces Emacs to ask the other application to send a
selection data in utf-8 if possible.   So, this setting will
work for him.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden