Re: Default remote user name in tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Default remote user name in tramp
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:08:38 +0200

Slawomir Nowaczyk <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> Is there any chance to have the following small patch applied to
> tramp.el? It allows one to specify default user name for remote hosts.

I'm a little bit reserved applying this patch. Tramp 2.1, the
developpers version, has such a customization mean (both
`tramp-default-user´and `tramp-default-user-alist´). Tramp 2.0, which
is part of Emacs 22, has been frozen a while ago, and should receive
bug fixes only.

So if you are couraged enough, you could use Tramp 2.1. Or you could
try to apply one of the recipes in
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions>. This
is from the Tramp 2.1 documentation (you'll find `tramp-default-user´
there), but most of the recipes should be applicable for Tramp 2.0
too.

> Some time ago tramp used to take user-login-name as a default remote
> user name if it was not specified by "address@hidden". Now, however,
> default user name is nil -- which makes tramp not work unless user
> name is specified on every request, at least for me (I use "plink"
> method and it doesn't seem to recognise remote prompt "login as:" and
> keeps waiting for password prompt).

That sounds like a bug. "login as:" would not be recognized as login
prompt, see `tramp-login-prompt-regexp´. Could you try to customize
that regexp to your needs, and see whether it works better?  Something
like ".*ogin.*: *" I would recommend. Please tell then whether it
helps.

Best regards, Michael.